Beaten? No,
but bruised and battered some.
Overwhelmed?
All the time. But never overcome.
Tired beyond emotion, but triumph is in my sight.
My victory is a certainty in this beautiful fight.
As the world mourns
champion and humanitarian Muhammed Ali, and I personally experience the
transition of my Aunt Mollie Woolfolk, I find myself reflecting on how they
both uniquely impacted my life. Their
lives were polar opposites: Ali was a presence that captivated the globe, Mollie, a caretaker that captivated the
cul-de-sac. Ali, a physical menace with a gentle heart for all mankind. Mollie, a mother hen barely 90 pounds with
the tenacity of a prize fighter. Both,
great legacies and great lessons of life that I hope I will carry with me for a
lifetime. Lessons like…
MAKE A NEGATIVE
SPACE YOUR POSITIVE THINK TANK
As
I watched the Ali movie, I most anticipated seeing their rendering of the
"Thriller in Manilla" fight and the famous "rope-a-dope"
strategy used by Ali to conquer his opponent.
What fascinated me then, and still does, is the grit and fortitude it
took to think and strategize while in that vicious brawl, exercising his mental
muscles while enduring crushing blows.
What does a man known for his much-publicized personal affirmations say
to himself ABOUT himself to survive THAT battle?
The
artistry of positive thought became an unbeatable weapon. It is an exercise in empowerment through
adversity that is still dissected and analyzed to this day. Ultimately, Ali showed us that there is no
exterior force more formidable or powerful than the one controlling our
thoughts. And it ours to choose which
will have the victory.
ALWAYS BE A PART OF
SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL
As
my aunt's health began to decline, I had the opportunity to care for her
yard. Her enormous yard with 26
trees. I rarely spent time in any yard prior to this, but as I dedicated
time every week to pick up limbs and prune trees I discovered a new passion for
the beautiful things nature brings. The
same neighbors would wave to me on their way to work and returning from work -
I had been out there that long. I was
praying with my eyes open, and the peace it gave me far outweighed the energy
spent. That season in my life gave me a
new perspective on the beauty found in dirty hands toiling in rich soil. For me, the power of growth and maturity
reflected in the roses translated to a deeper desire to see people grow and
reach their potential.
All
of us are called to flourish beyond our circumstances and to help others do the
same. There is a personal peace that is
unmatched when you dig deep to help someone else. Our lives are only as beautiful as the fruit
we bare. Always be a part of something
beautiful.
WHEN YOU ALWAYS
GIVE, YOU'LL NEVER BE EMPTY
Both
Ali and Aunt Mollie were givers. Ali to
humanitarian efforts for peace, Mollie to her family and many foster
children. All of her children were
special not only to her, but to everyone who knew them because you could see
how her love for them changed their lives.
I remember an infant straight out of the maternity ward and awaiting
adoption. When she got the word he has
coming, the family rallied and for a few days we had a newborn in the
family. He was the calmest baby I had
ever encountered. And after a few days,
he was gone to live with his permanent family.
We were all devastated, but Mollie especially. She loved her children with her whole
heart. No long after, she received two
sets of siblings to help fill the void.
For one child, Mollie was the first woman she ever called,
"Mama". You could tell Mollie
felt complete.
God
has a wonderful way of filling our emptiness with an overflow of Himself when
we looklikeLOVE in the eyes of someone else.
In sacrificing ourselves, we discover His sacred love.
ilooklikeLOVE is a
testament to all the "Mollies" and "Alis" in my life. Stay mentally strong, beautifully connected,
and always in serve to a point of sacrifice.
Victory depends not upon if we can brawl, but HOW YOU WIN.
Make it a BEAUTIFUL
FIGHT.
Do you looklikeLOVE? You can in the life of a child. Visit us at ilooklikeLOVE.org to find out how or email us at letsconnect@ilooklikeLOVE.org

No comments:
Post a Comment